Fun and Adventures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carrion Crown Chapt. 1

5 posters

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

Carrion Crown Chapt. 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Carrion Crown Chapt. 1

Post  Bill Heinz Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Ah, makes sense I suppose. Well as much as anything involving the gods, anyway.

I guess I just used to living in a cave. They tend to be pretty quiet.
Bill Heinz
Bill Heinz

Back to top Go down

Post  Spring Lightfoot Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:04 pm

I've spent most of my 75 years living in quite elaborate caves, I suppose. Mabdugnòm was much more homey then any run of the mill cave though. So how does the cave exploration business work? Are you hired by those looking to find treasures and you get a cut? Or is it a personal business of yours, gathering ancient treasures?
Spring Lightfoot
Spring Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Heinz Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Oh, I'm mostly hired by people trying to cut in on the Dwarves mining racket. Very very few of them ever succeed.

He shakes his head at this.

For that reason, I usually charge a flat rate plus expenses, or a share of any treasure found. It's kind of a family tradition really.

Sometimes I get lucky and someone wants a guide for a scholarly expedition or a treasure hunt though. Those are always much more fun. I am, actually the only cave guide who speaks under-common in these parts.
Bill Heinz
Bill Heinz

Back to top Go down

Post  Spring Lightfoot Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 pm

Spring laughs after hearing about the "mining racket."

I've never actually been to Ustalav before, Most of my life has been in The Five Kings Mountains and the River Kingdoms most recently. Most of my adventures, if you could call them that, have been acting as a doctor for the dwarven militias as they explore new cavern systems. Near the end of my career it was mostly triage unfortunately. For awhile I was doing clerical missions for the temple, and that had me travel all around the river kingdoms doing charitable work and healing the sick and poor. Scholarly expeditions and treasure hunts, that sounds exciting. Maybe someday I'll do that. I'm really just here for the professor's funeral.
Spring Lightfoot
Spring Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Heinz Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Well, if you think about it, this would probably the best chance you will ever have of getting in on a treasure hunt and or scholarly expedition. Think about the kind of people who will be here, mercinaries and scholars and other such adventuring types. Plus I can say from experience, no cleric ever went lacking for work when an adventure is afoot.

He gives an encouraging grin.
Bill Heinz
Bill Heinz

Back to top Go down

Post  Spring Lightfoot Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:29 pm

We'll see new friend. Fortunately I don't have to carry as many torches as you seem to, otherwise I'd have to crawl everywhere!
He chuckles to himself.
So you are from Ustalav? Or just from the neighboring area?
Spring Lightfoot
Spring Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Heinz Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Nope, from Taldor, Go Liberty! and all that.

He chuckles a bit

Never really associated myself with any particular region, though I have made a point to avoid Chelix. I have no idea what lies beneath that blighted soil, and I never want to find out.
Bill Heinz
Bill Heinz

Back to top Go down

Post  Spring Lightfoot Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Taldor, you're from even further away than I am. Fortunately I live in the River Kingdoms now and not in Mabdugnòm, otherwise that would have added a considerable amount of time to my journey. Fortunate I got the news when I did, otherwise I might not have been able to make the journey in time, with the Ustalav weather and roads being so miserable. Not this bad in Galton, almost feels like spring there.

Spring pauses, seeming to reflect back on some memory, then finishes his plate.

Tomorrow is the funeral though, so hopefully everyone has been able to make it on time.
Spring Lightfoot
Spring Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Thorp Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:50 pm

The tavern begins to fill with the older folk of the town, mostly only those to old to work in the fields and to stubborn to stay locked up in their homes. Cards and other games begin at the tables and friendly bets are exchanged but no money actually changes hands, most of the bets are for who will buy lunch today or the next round. The towns folk ignore you for the most part only nodding if you make eye contact. The only ones who talk to you are Jorvas and Gwen when they find a spare moment, Jory is nowhere to be seen and it is only assumed that he is outside playing with his pup.

The song played by Spring makes some of the towns folk smile one perticularly old cuss gets up and dances a rickety old jig and shouts
Damn dwarves always did make my feet wana move.

Spring is awarded 1 trust point for the group

Last edited by DM Thorp on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
DM Thorp
DM Thorp
Admin

https://ttmt.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Spring Lightfoot Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Spring leaves Bill to his ale, and finds a game of cards that he knows the rules for.

Miserably cold and dreary out there, might as well make the most of the warm tavern.
Spring Lightfoot
Spring Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Thorp Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:18 am

Spring sits down at the table with the same old man who did the jig. They let him play and make minor small talk but exclude him from the minor betting of ale or snacks.
DM Thorp
DM Thorp
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Thorp Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:24 am

The day of the ceremony has arrived and having had a day or more of rest Spring, Baruk, Harper, and Bill find their way at 10:00 am to the restlands. The feeling of loss is heavy on the air and the misting rain and fog make the mood ever more depressing. It feels right somehow though for such weather accompany you on a somber day.

Reaching the gates of the Restlands you see a small tent set up just inside sheltering the small party of townsfolk, only a dozen in number, from the rain. Inside on a table is the ornate casket, Kendra stands off to the side speaking with an older man who glances at you disapprovingly as you enter the tent with your bags and gear in tow. We will not discuss this further counselor, my father requested them by name and so this is how I will have it.

Kendra is an attractive slender woman with long black hair bound up in a bun. She is dressed in the clothes of mourning and her eyes are red from long hours spent crying. She looks are you and manages a half hearted smile as she crosses the room to greet you.

Thank you so much for coming, it means so much and my father would be happy to know you braved the roads to see him to his final rest.

Welcome to our first story post. I hope you have gotten the feel for how you intend to play your characters and are ready to kick this off. Tree did not make it in time but may join later if time permits. Remember that this town runs on trust, the more the people trust you the less likely you are to be stabbed with a pitchfork by the farmers daughter.

The faster you post the faster I will try to respond. once everyone has posted I will advance the story.
DM Thorp
DM Thorp
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Heinz Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:46 am

Bill bows slightly

It is my honor to be thought of by such a great man
Bill Heinz
Bill Heinz

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Thorp Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:53 am

His respect for you was endless. You must be Bill, from his descriptions of your missing fingers you sound like you have lots of adventures in those caves. Please excuse me while I greet the rest, we shall begin soon and we can talk more afterward.

Kendra moves on and greets and thanks the few towns folk that are there.

Sense motive check 15+:
Spoiler:
DM Thorp
DM Thorp
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Heinz Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:57 am

Natural One on that roll.
Bill Heinz
Bill Heinz

Back to top Go down

Post  Spring Lightfoot Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 am

Sense Motive: 12 + 3 = 15

Spring approaches Kendra.

I wouldn't miss it, daughter of Petros. Spring motions to Kendra that he wishes to whisper to her. I hope this hasn't been about me being loud in the tavern? I didn't think it was a civil matter... he trails off his words.

This feels weird. Good thing traditional Dwarven burials are in full military gear.
Spring Lightfoot
Spring Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Thorp Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:58 am

Oh no, it is nothing of the sort. Don't you worry, Spring is it? My father said you would always try to make a good time out of the worst situations. It appears that your intentions were good and it was appreciated by all those present.

She excuses herself politely and continues the rounds.
DM Thorp
DM Thorp
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Spring Lightfoot Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:11 am

Spring looks around to see if there is assigned seating. If seats aren't assigned, he sits as close to the front as is allowed. He sits his bagpipe on his lap.

Maybe I'll get to play something. Hopefully.
Spring Lightfoot
Spring Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Thorp Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 am

There is no seating. This appears to be the staging area for a procession to the grave site.
DM Thorp
DM Thorp
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Spring Lightfoot Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:18 am

Spring waits patiently. He would normally be more upbeat at a funeral, but the weather, the lack of people, and the odd counselor seem to have taken away his desire to chat.
Spring Lightfoot
Spring Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Harper Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:24 am

Sense motive: 14+6=20

Harper gives a sad sigh as he see the poor turn out. The professor deserved more then this. Harper finds a spot on the edge of the gathering and pulls out his holy symbol to give a few of his own quit prayers.

Harper

Back to top Go down

Post  Spring Lightfoot Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:29 am

Spring looks around, and notices Harper and Bill. He nods as happily as he can then looks (read as: scopes) around the area.

A little Paranoia never hurt a dwarf, and it's never hurt me either.

Perception 5 + 3 = 8. boo.
Spring Lightfoot
Spring Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Thorp Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:36 am

Nothing looks out of place save for the three of you. With packs and gear you are by far the most out of place people in the tent.

With a post from Baruk we will move on.
DM Thorp
DM Thorp
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Baruk Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Baruk ducks into the tent and stands next to one of the walls scanning the group.

Perception 9 +4=13
Baruk
Baruk

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Thorp Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:51 pm

Baruk doesn't see anything yet unnoticed.

It looks like everyone is here and thank you all so much for coming. My father would be touched to have such good friends come to see him at the end. I fear that I am lacking the power required to carry the casket on my own and would gladly accept help from any of you who are willing.

The locals shuffle their feet and look down not making eye contact with anyone.
DM Thorp
DM Thorp
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum